Nov 3, 2008

A confession and a fun Halloween

I am still in my pajamas and I really should shower. This time change really throws me off. The kids wake up way too early,they are so tired and ready for bed too early too and I some how manage to stay up way too late anyway...only to be woken up really early again. I need to work on that.
We made french toast for breakfast/brunch. Gav loves to help me in the kitchen, it's cute. Gav ended up with a little toast a plate full of syrup.
* Note to self, new bottles of syrup are really easy for kids to pour excessive amounts when you are busy flipping the toast over in the pan, and the only signal you get is the sound of "YUM YUM YUM! it's sticky mama."
Max managed to fall onto a chair face first and cut up his lip pretty good this morning. I promise I watch my kids, they really are that clumsy, bless their hearts,their bumps seem to happen when I'm right there. I am tempted to get rid of my chairs... This delayed my attempted shower and before I knew it, it was time for the munchkins to eat.

For lunch we ate left over Mississippi mud brownies (so yummy! so not healthy for lunch, dumb mommy after all of that syrup from breakfast) and the toy box looks like it exploded all over my house(most likely consequential to the sugar high children). I think the anxiety and stress from Gav this weekend finally caught up with me, not to mention a fun and busy weekend with 17 super crazy nursery darlings wired from excessive sugar and the time change. I need to find that cleaning fairy's number, or some motivation to do it myself. I think I'd prefer the fairy...

It was nothing serious, thank goodness! He fell off his chair backwards while eating breakfast and landed on the a chair behind him. Andy was finishing up the crepes and I was in the other room. I heard the fall and ran. I saw blood. I didn't have time to freak out, I just knew he would likely need stitches. Head wounds bleed a lot, so I wasn't sure. I was so glad Andy was home! We rushed to get dressed and cleaned up. My dad watched Max while we took Gavin in.

Before, but cleaned up and numbed. Stupid chair!
When the nurse separated the cut it looked even worse than I thought and she said he would definitely need staples. They numbed his skin(which took half an hour to work, so we distracted him with candy) then we had to hold him down while they doctor put staples in. The first one didn't go in very well so they had to take it out and start over. Gavin tolerated the pain and circumstances really well considering. He was eager for his sucker when he was finished. It looked awful but as it has started to heal it's not too bad. He hasn't even touched it. I'm really glad it isn't bothering him. I'm not looking forward to getting them removed...yikes.

Just before the staples...sucker in hand. Poor guy.
As my older brother would say, "scars attract the ladies" sure...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Halloween-
We took the boys to my parents for Halloween-they go all out. When we got to their house Gav got out of the car and paused, then he ran back to the car screaming. I was surprised. He doesn't really get scared. It took some coaxing but once he got to sit in papa's really cool antique Viking(car) and help with the horn and fog machine he was happy.
We also went to a party at Jessica's house. Max loved playing with the other kids. We had a great time, Thanks Jess! Their neighborhood was full of kids which made it nice for Gav to "a treat treat please"as he would say. He was hesitant, but once the candy started coming he would hurry up to the doors, set his bucket down and ring the bell(a few too many times). He'd say something close to "trick or treat" and thank you. Then he would just stand there and smile (a little awkward for the person at the door. They would eventually wave goodbye and Gav would leave). As people put candy in his bag he would reach into their bowl and get his own. It was a long and fun day. Andy convinced me to stay up and watch dumb scary movies-so I scored a really nice back rub.

*Amanda and I got out for some much needed girl time Saturday night and saw The Secret Life of Bees. It was good. We also enjoyed some yummy Marble Slab ice cream.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

What a brave little boy!!! No fun at all. kaylee's had to have staples before and it just pains me to even watch. Hope he feels better:(

And you're so not alone in being in pajamas all day and trying to find something to eat:)

melanie33 said...

ouch! those staples look painful. I have one of those accident prone kids too and i do not know how she has lived her 5 3/4 years without staples or stitches (knock on wood).

Amanda said...

Gavin is a trooper! Thank goodness for the healing powers of suckers! The movie was fun, I am so glad we went! Thanks for the ice cream treat as well! Let's have girl time more often:)

Brandon and Amber said...

Staples??? Oh my goodness, I think I would have freaked out! I'm so glad he's okay and I hope you're okay too!

Sarah said...

Owie! the poor little guy. Its a good thing we have sugar for moments like that.
Things like that suck. Not only for your poor little Gavin, but it really sucks as a parent too. Way to pull through it!

.l i c k t e e s. said...

poor gav...staples are never fun. but you really are lucky that you aren't taking someone to get staples every other week :) maybe now gav will be more careful so he doesn't have to do that all again..well, maybe not :)

and seriously, french toast for breakfast and brownies for lunch? can we come live at your house? :)

Rob and Tiff said...

Ouch! That looks like it hurt. I'm glad it ended up not being too bad.

brit said...

chics dig scars, right? way to hang in there, Gav, and mom!

I don't know what it is with kids falling off chairs. Ella has done that before and Kate fell off a chair monday onto her face and bruised her cheek good . . . i mean, of course they don't fall on the playground but when they are sitting perfectly still .. .

glad you had a happy halloween!