Aug 3, 2008

Breaking Dawn-don't read if you haven't read it yet!

I picked up my book just after midnight at Borders and basically stayed up all night to read it. I wasn't in a hurry to finish it because i loved it so much like the others, but the drive came from not wanting it spoiled and my time is limited seeing that I have to adventurous little boys to watch. I do have a bad habit for needing to finish things I start asap, it's a compulsive thing to. I did take a long break to prepare for nursery, play with my kids and spend the afternoon with my family, even though it's so tempting to shut the whole world out until I am done. I finished the 754 pages in less than two days!!!

My speculations prior to reading it(with a year to plot it out in my head you know)...
-
-
-
-
-
-

-I knew Bella would be changed, and figured Edward would do it. I thought either it will be by accident when they attempt to ummm er, you know succumb to their desires. Or somehow Bella would be on the verge of death and Edward would have no choice. I mean we all have been waiting through three books, each having a glimmer of hope that she'd be changed already so it has to happen-sorry Jacob fans.
-I was anxious for their wedding, I thought this would be the main event in the book and follow with her transformation but I was wrong(I was hoping it would be a lot more descriptive too! Maybe I am a little too much like Alice when it comes to big events.)

-I figured they would somehow be successful in their "attempt" and was intrigued by the possibility of procreating...if that's what you call it when one is immortal? I am still left pondering how Edward could be fertile??? Not sure on that one, I still find it odd. Crazy vampire venomish sperm...maybe I'm just glad that the deed was finally done(I know I am not the only one who wanted them to). I'm glad things weren't too explicit here, it had more sex talk than I expected though. Loved the broken bed and feathers!

-I also assumed Jacob would eventually imprint. I kind of hoped it would be some random beautiful girl so Bella could feel the same pain she put him through (I'm mean, I know). As soon as I read that Bella delivered a "she" that Jacob would somehow imprint on her baby...I was right as weird as the idea seemed to me. I still don't like the name Renesmee, it doesn't flow, but whatever. I enjoyed her character development, though it was fast paced.

-I hoped Bella would find someway to see Charlie again
-I assumed Charlie and Sue would keep each other company and so on.

- I was afraid that once Bella was changed that it would be hard to relate to her character, and that the whole interest in her and Edward would be OFF from the other books. I mean I understand why I would feel this way Bella would no longer be human, which means no longer clumsy etc. nor relateable. But somehow it played out way to nicely/fairytale like when I look back at it. She didn't even have to struggle being around her own dad. It was really built up to expect becoming a vampire to being almost impossible to handle and for a really long time but no, she can still see her dad, and Jacob and have a daughter on top of that as well as incredible ehem, dot dot dot with Edward? A little too convenient and easy.
I felt cheated, like everything Bella could have ever wanted (as well as everything she was ever afraid of) worked out way to perfectly and that bothered me. It made it hard to believe/relate to because nobody has it that easy. She suffered plenty of pain and mishap as a human but this vampire world had no real struggles. She literally wound up in the end as "the girl who has everything" where's the excitement in that? If it was going to be that easy then why wait through three books for it to happen?
-Did anyone get tired of all the Volturi drama? I did, I just wanted a big successful fight and to be on with it. That didn't happen. I was in such high anxiety wondering who would die, figured the Cullens had to win in the end but...bummer!
- What's with the "Jazz" and "Rose" that was weird and inconsistent with the other books. All the nicknaming was awkward. I about died laughing when Edward touched Jacob's shoulder and called him "Son"! ha ha ha!
-I must say that I loved the ending where she was able to show Edward her thoughts-that was sweet. It was a great ending too bad it didn't follow some super climatic war! I loved her special gift, it suited her personality so well! *I missed all of the descriptive development that Twilight had. Edward wasn't the fantasy guy so much, he lost his"it" factor considerably and became the average dude imo. I hope this isn't coming off as disliking the book. I enjoyed it! It just didn't fit too well with the other books but, it wasn't supposed to in a way. I just had a lot on my mind after reading it. A perfect ending, meaning the last page. It was all in all a happily ever after that I didn't think was very likely. No one important died...wow I am a little mean. Maybe everyone else preferred the perfect fairytale without all the violence.
-I hope you enjoyed it as well. It was a great series and I'm happy that it ended on such a sweet note. I'm sooo glad Bella was finally changed and happy. I was just surprised towards the end and I am still left pondering the whole baby thing. I guess it just tied things together more perfectly so Bella could still have Jacob too. Very perfect.

2 comments:

Lacey.costner said...

I have to say, I sort of disagree. I loved this book, I wanted a happy gooey ending, and I totally got it!! The only complaint I have is just what you said about the Volturi. I was expecting a total huge climatic fight....and didn't get it. I think those of us who have read HArry Potter expect THAT kind of end you know? But still a great ending to a timeless saga!!

Unknown said...

Great review! Totally involved and detailed.

I have to say that I was also wishing for a fight at the end, but didn't want anyone to die. The nicknames for me were off as well and renesmee was a weird name too.

But overall i loved it and think that meyer was able to wrap everything up nicely and end it well. She did get everything she wanted, but who doesn't want that? I know I sometimes wish that everything was perfect and that I could always get what I want. I guess it's just the difference in what you expect out of fiction and what it does for you.

For me, I want perfection in a fictional character just like edward, but was surprisingly happy when I saw some flaws in him as well.

Like i said, overall good:)