Apr 29, 2008

First steps!

Doesn't he look tough? We are glad his eye is finally getting better, hopefully we can get the boys pictures done for their birthdays. Besides, scars add personality right.

snitching some of "papa's birthday cake"

Sunday Max finally stood by himself for longer then two seconds and took a step, then fell down. I figured he will be improving his balancing skills over the next month and be ready to run. Tuesday and he stood up and took five steps towards me-I was amazed to say the least. (I will get it on camera when Andy is actually home to help, he has been super busy now that it's official wedding season-which is a good thing, just busy.)
Max sure has a lot of determination in him, which I love. "See it, want it, figure out someway to get it....and then taste it." It's too bad not everything tastes as good as the cookie crumbs your older brother spills on the floor. I don't know if I am ready for him to walk...but do I have a choice? It's now Friday and he is still working on his balance but he is taking lots of steps. It is so fun to see him grow.
Another thing I thought I was ready for and realized last night as I cut out his last feeding...I was distraught. I thought I would be excited to be done nursing, and hoping to get by boobs back, but instead I am feeling quite sad. I enjoy my cuddle time with Max and I am not ready to let him "grow up" in the sense of becoming a toddler anymore. I always thought it was a bit crazy for a mom to nurse past a year but for a moment-just a moment to those non breast feeders out there- I felt sad and a little detached. I have truly been blessed to have two wonderful nursers and a great experience with them both. Max is struggling a bit with it but I'm glad we don't have to wean him from bottles too. He likes his sippy cups. And each day we make it through the more he will forget about it...I hope.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I know exactly what you mean by feeling distraught when weaning. I never thought we'd make it this long, but Bryce and I have. It's been 14 months of mostly wonderful moments with nursing (the bad only ocured when I got mastitis:(

But we're down to about 2 times during the day and once at night still. He has yet to sleep through the night, but with a ton of reading i've done for my job as a breastfeeding peer counselor, i've learned that sleeping through the night has nothing to do with what they eat, but their development.

I want to start weening him, but today when I was thinking about it, it makes me sad. I too enjoy that time and I know Bryce enjoys it too, or we'd be done by now. Sorry so long. Put up pics when you get the boys' pictures done:)

Unknown said...

hey, wait a go on making as far as you have. You are way above the average for sure! I had to use formula here and there as well. It's hard to milk supply up when you're traveling or having things go on that you didn't expect.

Look on the bright side, he's almost a year and then he can have regular milk, which is way less expensive:)

Anonymous said...

I am glad you didn't put those hideous pictures of me holding my stomach on your blog! I might just have to hurt you. It was a fun trip.

Sorry you've been having an extra hard time missing Eric. I wish I was closer this month. You'll never get over losing him but the pain will go down. We talked about different trials, etc today in church and I kept thinking of you. At least we have the gospel to grasp onto. Doesn't make it easy but at least it makes it possible!

Love ya! You're more than welcome to come visit at the end of the month if you need distractions. I can't make it out to Utah for awhile.

Karin

melanie33 said...

The milestones!! So great are the next steps, but so sad are the ones you leave behind! It is hard to move on sometimes, isn't it? Just think, one day we will have to let them go completely!