Sep 24, 2008

the secret life of a toddler


This is Max. Mommy has been really sick with a cold, then the flu and a throat infection on top of it. I somehow managed to stay perfectly healthy and also decided to give up a nap. Who needs two naps a day anyway, really?
I am extremely adorable, full of curiosity and absolutely brilliant. My laugh is contagious and I love people. I will talk to anyone, I have a lot to say you know. There isn't an ounce of fear in my body. I'm very good at keeping my mother perplexed and busy. I do my best to make sure she always has something to clean up, have you ever played with toilet paper? you have got to try it. Oatmeal is really hard to wash out of hair and if you sneak in the bathroom while Gavin is going peepee, you get a shower and then you get a bath and mom has to do more cleaning. It's all about the timing.
I like to slam doors and hide in closets and under the bed. The kitchen sink is a great place to throw things, I see my mom do it all the time. Same with the garbage can. I was wondering why she hadn't made cookies in a while must be because those measuring spoons made it right in the garbage can and she didn't know it. I figured out how to get up on mom's bed and climb on the kitchen table, those are much more daring than the couch and bathtub. (If you haven't noticed I have moved up from my little kid toys that I can climb on and ride, slide, bounce etc. those are for babies.) Did you know that those chairs in the kitchen can move around and I can reach everything. (It's too bad they make so much noise, mom always catches me.)My parents had this place baby proofed, but I'm on to them. I love challenges as much as I love my binkies. (seriously, don't even think about taking those away from me,I might resort to biting...)
Here's my complaint. I am exposing my mom. Let me fill you in. At my fifteen month check up my doctor said I might become a picky eater. I was confused, I mean I always ate whatever my parents gave me. There was always a pretty colorful variety. Anyway, the doctor said it's common for tots like me develop a selective appetite. So I did just that. I quit all vegetables cold turkey. I like turkey. But anything green, orange, you name it. If it looks healthy then I throw it on the floor or hide it in my chair. I was surprised how easy it was to give up my peas. Mashed potatoes and green beans took a little longer but I am so done with them. It has been a few months and aside from a baby carrot from my brothers plate I am vegetable free. Or so I thought...
I have reason to believe that somehow my mom is getting me to eat them with out me catching her. I am onto her. I love applesauce and she has been feeding me A LOT of it. I think last time she mashed up avocado(used to love thet green stuff) and mixed it in my applesauce. I had no idea and I ate it all up. Then there were smashed green lumps the next day...I think they were peas. What's next? broccoli, good luck with that one. I love those pizza roll things but they suddenly have a healthy taste to them...she wouldn't be smart enough to shred carrots and peas and stuff them in with all the cheesy saucy gooiness would she? Yesterday I saw her boiling spinach leaves I wonder what she did with them? She tries too hard. If you have a second please tell her to give up. I will spit it out and refuse it eventually too. I am sixteen months old you know. Now I have spent way too much time in one place so I better go climb on my dresser again. See ya!

I still like spaghetti sauce...but only because it's so messy.

7 comments:

Amanda said...

Oh Emily, it sounds like life is VerY exciting at your house! Max, you sound too smart for your own good! At least with Max and Gavin around you don't have to worry about getting in an official workout, they have you running around all the time!
I think going out to lunch is a great idea! I am going to Spokane tomorrow, but I will be back next Tuesday. So maybe the end of next week will work well!

Brandon and Amber said...

That was a cute post! What a smart mom you are to sneak those veggies into things he likes--do you have that cookbook Deceptively Delicious? I've only heard about it, but have never tried it. I remember something about pureeing spinach into brownies.....now how can that possibly be as good as the real thing???

Macdonalds said...

I've heard about the cookbook but I haven't bought it yet. I might have to,he is really testing my creativity with food.

Unknown said...

Those pictures are great, especially the last one! And the hair, that is awesome!!!

Sorry to hear you've been sick. Not fun at all:( Hope you're feeling better.

melanie33 said...

toddlers... can't live with em, can't live without 'em.... despite all their monster like behaviors, they are still the cutest things around!!

Matt, Karin, Sienna, Sadie & Tanner said...

:) What a little pill. It gives us good stories though.

Rob and Tiff said...

How Cute! Not the picky eating but the creative writing. Good luck figuring out how to get him to continue eating healthy stuff. It sounds like you're doing a pretty good job at it already.