Jul 26, 2010

Brave little Max

I was a bit nervous and couldn't sleep. It was just my luck Max woke up at 5 am. I thought we were in for a really exhausting rough day and I couldn't have been more wrong. If it weren't for the post op care I have to do I wouldn't believe he had anything done. Waiting in the waiting room-

Grandma decided she had to be there.
Check up, and cool pj time.

He was running around in circles and talking to everyone.
The doctor was behind so we had to wait almost two more hours than planned and I didn't know how he'd handle not being able to eat or drink anything. I kept praying he'd be too busy to care. And he did just that. Not once did he ask for food or need a drink. The nurse was so awesome. She came out and showed him on a doll all the masks and things they would use and he loved it. He even tried to take her blood pressure and listen to her heart. Then came time for me to hand him over and it was a lot harder on me than him. He shouted "bye mom" and that was it.
The nurses came to get me and just laughed. They said kids suffer from anesthetic delirium afterward and are rather grumpy, and can seem like they're having a nightmare. It takes a while for them to snap out of it. Max, was not the case. They said he was the happiest boy they'd ever seen. He fell asleep talking and woke up talking.
We had to hang out and make him drink some juice, then he got a wagon ride to the car and we went home. The only time he cried was when we gave the hospital the batman toy back, he was devastated. Good thing I came prepared with some new distractions. We ate some lunch and took a four hour nap. We watched The Princess and the Frog-the new movie he picked out.

Does this look like three year old post op? Didn't think so.
He was sure to show me all the cool things on his bed. The red-light/ heart monitor was his favorite. He liked having a glowing finger.

A long day meant for a long nap! All is well, his recovery was not even a day. So much for the anticipated two to three weeks of discomfort and trouble. He was so happy and awesome and now he can go potty without any problems! We sure appreciate all of the prayers because I know Max, and I know that he had a lot of extra blessings and comfort that day.


5 comments:

jessi said...

I'm glad everything went well! When your feeling up to it, lets go to the Herriman Beach and go play in the sand!!

.l i c k t e e s. said...

umm...surgery?! do i need to facebook-it just to hear about stuff like this?!

anyway, i'm so glad i don't have to say "poor little max" since he is obviously doing great! he's amazing, and way too cute. seriously :)

Unknown said...

I'm glad everything went well. That's always so scary for the parents, more than the kids:) You kept up the brave front for him. What a cute little smile he has too:)

Karin said...

I wish we got cute little pjs like that when we spent time in the hospital.

Mercedes said...

Glad it went so smoothly!